The Sean Project

Sean is our 29 year old deafblind son and this is the ongoing story of Sean, what he does and how he interacts with us, our friends, our horses and our pets.

Google

Saturday, July 04, 2009

Listening to the Sean Symphony




As I was watching Sean sitting on the floor this morning, holding his comforter and smiling I realize that there are few, very few people who have the heart and the patience to listen to the Sean Symphony.

Sean is a complex and very subtle mix of signals and "music" - the various factors that make up his perceptions and reactions to life. I realized that one has to listen to Sean like one is listening to a symphony, only then can you hear the harmonies and couterpoints that make up his life.

Our good friend Holly was staying with us and her dog, Heidi, would lay down on his comforter next to him. Heidi was a study in how to listen to Sean, Heidi just was there, sometimes she played, sometimes she sat and she and Sean were just there. Sean does not often tolerate dogs or cats that are around him - mainly I think because they are waiting for him to do something for them. But Heidi was facsinated with him, I think.

And there are some people who just seem to have this natural ear for Sean. Like those rare people who just "get" opera, some people just "get" how to listen to the symphony. Nancy Gunn is one of that list - she has always been someone who just listens to Sean. Holly is another along with, of course, Nancy. Both of these remarkable ladies just hear the music. I hope maybe I am another or maybe that's just wishful thinking. I think there is another person out there who has yet to meet Sean but I bet she will fit into the list - Paw-wet is her name.

One other person, someone who only met Sean a few times but who just loved him - my Mum.

1 Comments:

At 5:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, indeed, Heidi and I definitely do hear Sean's symphony, and it is perfly beautiful. This is such a lovely message--thank you for recognizing the connection. Never doubt how special you are, Mick, to your son.

Love, Holly

 

Post a Comment

<< Home